Debra Bourne, MD: After earning her medical degree from Yale University, Dr. Bourne completed a plastic surgery residency and a hand and upper extremity fellowship at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
Dr. Bourne has lead authorship on several peer-reviewed articles to her credit, including publications in The Annals of Surgery, Journal of Surgical Research, and, most recently, in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
In addition to her appointment as an assistant professor in the Division of Plastic Surgery, she is also a member of the UK Hand Surgery team and a member of the Hand Surgery Fellowship faculty in collaboration with the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery.
UK HealthCare Physician Profile: Debra Bourne, MD
Hand and Upper Extremity Fellow - University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Plastic Surgery - University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Yale University School of Medicine
New Haven, Connecticut
Dr. Bourne is active in medical research. Her specific areas of interest include:
Optimizing and exploring the role of fat grafting and adipose derived stem cells in reconstructive surgery
As a plastic surgeon, my clinical and research endeavors strive to improve form and function. The immense regenerative properties of stem cells are starting to be widely appreciated. Adipose derived stem cells as well as structural fat can be safely and easily harvested in large quantities through liposuction. This can then be engrafted to treat areas of volume deficit or poor tissue quality throughout the body. Additionally, stromal vascular fraction (SVF) can be isolated from lipoaspirate through collagenase-based procedures. This represents a rich source of adipose derived stem cells and other progenitor cells that may be added to fat prior to engraftment to potentially enhance its regenerative properties and volume retention. Patients suffering from painful lower extremity amputations sites benefit from fat grafting to areas of poor soft tissue coverage and enrichment with SVF results in earlier pain relief. I have participated in several clinical trials assessing the efficacy of autologous fat transfer with and without SVF enrichment for the treatment of craniofacial volume defects and painful lower extremity amputation stumps. Our results demonstrate that fat grafting is safe and effective in improving craniofacial volume defects and the addition of SVF does not impact volume retention in this patient population. I plan to continue to study the applications of adipose derived stem cells throughout the body.
Exploring career and family outcomes for women physicians
Women now compose half of medical students, however, the number of women entering surgical professions has lagged behind and an even greater discrepancy is seen in leadership positions. Our data demonstrates that women are underrepresented in Academic Plastic Surgery Leadership positions and that women are significantly more likely than men to report inequality in professional opportunities due to gender. Furthermore, fifty-six percent of women who become pregnant during plastic surgery residency reported suffering from an obstetrical complication and more than half were dissatisfied with their maternity leave. I am working to increase recognition of these issues and work towards greater equality and wellness of women and other underrepresented minorities in medicine.
- Fadia NB, Bliley JM, DiBernardo GA, Crammond DJ, Schilling BK, Sivak WN, SPiess AM, Washington KM, Waldner M, Tsung LH, James IB, Minteer DM, Tompkins-Rhoades C, Cottrill AR, Kim DY, Schewizer R, Bourne DA, Panagis GE, Schusterman MA, Egro FM, Campwala IK, Simpson T, Weber DJ, Gause T, Brooker JE, Josyula T, Guevara AA, Repko AJ, Mahoney CM, Marra KG. Long-Gap Peripheral Nerve Repair Through Sustained Release of a Neurotrophic Factor in Non-human Primates. Science Translational Medicine. 2020 Jan 22;12(527).
- Guest RA, Bourne DA, Chow I, Gusenoff J, Rubin JP. The Impact of Massive Weight Loss on Psychological Comorbidities: A Large, Retrospective Database Review. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. 2019 Dec;43(6):1570-4.
- Chen W, Baron M, Bourne DA, Kim JS, Washington KM, De La Cruz C. A Report on the Representation of Women in Academic Plastic Surgery Leadership. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2020 Mar;145(3):844-52.
- Bourne DA, Chen W, Shilling BK, Littleton E, Washington KM, De La Cruz, C. The Impact of Plastic Surgery Training on Family Planning and Prenatal Health. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2019 Nov;144(5):1227-36.
- Bourne DA, Bliley J, James IB, Donnenberg AD, Donnenberg V, Branstetter B, Haas GL, Radomsky GL, Meyer EM, Pfeifer M, Brown SA, Marra KG, Coleman S, Rubin JP. Changing the Paradigm of Craniofacial Reconstruction; A Prospective Clinical Trial of Autologous Fat Transfer for Craniofacial Deformities. Annals of Surgery. 2019 April 9 [Epub ahead of print]
- Bourne DA, Thomas RD, Bliley J, Haas G, Wyse A, Donnenberg A, Donnenberg VS, Chow I, Cooper R, Coleman S, Marra K, Pasquina PF, Rubin JP. Amputation Site Soft Tissue Restoration Using Adipose Stem Cell Therapy. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2018 Nov;142(5):1349-52.
- James I, Bourne DA, DiBernardo G, Wang S, Gusenoff J, Marra K, Rubin JP. The Architecture of Fat Grafting II: Impact of Cannula Diameter. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2018 Nov;142(5):1219-25. Selected for PRS Journal Club
- James IB, Bourne DA, Silva M, Havis E, Albright K, Zhang L, Kostereva N, Wang S, DiBernardo G, Guest R, Lei J, Almadoroi A, Satish L, Marra K, Rubin JP. Adipose Stem Cells Enhance Excisional Wound Healing in a Porcine Model. Journal of Surgical Research. 2018 Sept;229:243-53.
- Bourne DA, Sivak W, Spiess AM. Current Trends in Local Flaps of the Hand. Current Orthopaedic Practice. 2018 March/April;29(2):127-34.
- Bourne DA, Li Y, Komatsu C, Miller MM, Davidson EH, He L, Rosner IA, Tang H, Chen W, Solari MG, Schuman JS, Washington KM. Whole Eye Transplantation: A Look into the Past and Vision for the Future. Eye. 2017 Feb;31(2):179-84.
- Coombs DM, Bourne DA, Egro FM, Solari MG. Reconstructing Defects of the Lower Lip. ePlasty. 2016;16(ic50).
- Davidson E, Wang EW, Yu JY, Fernandez-Mieranda JC, Wang DJ, Li Y, Miller M, Sivak WN, Bourne DA, Wang H, Solari MG, Schuman JS, Washington KM. Clinical Considerations in Vascularized Composite Allotransplantation of the Eye. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery. 2016 Oct;27(7):1622-8.
- Sivak W, Bourne DA, Miller M, Manders E. Simplified Calvarial Reconstruction: Coverage of Bare Skull with GammaGraft Promotes Granulation and Facilitates Skin Grafting. Journal of Craniofacial Surgery. 2016 Oct;27(7):1808-9.
- Samra S, Bourne DA, Beckett J, Matthew M, Thomson G. Decision-making and Management of Ulnar Polydactyly of the Newborn: Outcomes and Satisfaction. Journal of Hand Surgery Asian-Pacific Volume. 2016 Oct; 21(3):313-20.
- Bourne DA, James I, Wang S, Marra K, Rubin JP. The Architecture of Fat Grafting: What Lies Beneath the Surface. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2016 Mar;137(3):1072-9.
- Bourne DA, Ahuja N, Gimbel ML. Analysis of the Vertical Mammaplasty Design in Skin-Sparing Mastectomy and Immediate Autologous Reconstruction. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery. 2016 Jan;69(1):23-9.
- Lewis J, Filler R, Smith DA, Golubets K, Girardi M. The Contribution of Langerhans Cells to Cutaneous Malignancy. Trends in Immunology. 2012 Dec;31(12):460-6.
- Spock C, Smith DA, Narayan D. Minimally Invasive Groin Dissection. Connecticut Medicine. 2012 May:76(5):273-7.
- Smith DA, Hoang D, Broer N, Narayan D. Acellularized Cadaver Dermis for Reconstruction of Complex Scalp Defects. Journal of Plastic and Reconstructive Aesthetic Surgery. 2012 Mar;65(3):406-7.