BS: University of California - Los Angeles, 2013
PhD: University of Kentucky, Department of Physiology, 2020
I attended UCLA as a biochemistry major before joining the MD/PhD program at the University of Kentucky. Currently, I am a graduate student in Alan Daugherty's Lab working on factors that influence development of thoracic aortic aneurysms in Marfan Syndrome using mice models. Specifically, we are interested in the roles of 1) the renin angiotensin system and 2) estrogen and testosterone in modulating development and progression of thoracic aortic aneurysms.
I am particularly interested in the development of genetic thoracic aortic anerysms, which occur in the context of inherited disorders such as Marfan Syndrome. Marfan Syndrome has a high incidence in Eastern Kentucky families and is endemic to the region. My current research focuses on the role of the renin angiotensin system (RAS) in pathogenesis of aortic diseases. RAS is a well-studied endocrine and paracrine pathway with numerous FDA-approved, safe, and effective modulators; there is great promise in developing non-invasive medical treatments to address aortic diseases, which currently can only be definitively treated by surgical repair alone.
UKY CCTS TL-1
UKY CCTS PSMRF - July 2015
- Chen, JZ ; Sawada, H.; Moorleghen, JJ ; Weiland, M.; Daugherty, A.; Sheppard, MB "Aortic Strain Correlates with Elastin Fragmentation in Fibrillin-1 Hypomorphic Mice." Circulation reports 1, 5 (2019): 199-205. [PubMed Link] |
- Sawada, H.; Chen, JZ ; Wright, BC ; Moorleghen, JJ ; Lu, HS ; Daugherty, A. "Ultrasound Imaging of the Thoracic and Abdominal Aorta in Mice to Determine Aneurysm Dimensions." Journal of visualized experiments : JoVE 145 (2019): [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Sawada, H.; Chen, JZ ; Wright, BC ; Sheppard, MB ; Lu, HS ; Daugherty, A. "Heterogeneity of Aortic Smooth Muscle Cells: A Determinant for Regional Characteristics of Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms?" Journal of translational internal medicine 6, 3 (2018): 93-96. [PubMed Link] |
- Sawada, H.; Wright, BC ; Chen, JZ ; Lu, HS ; Daugherty, A. "Drebrin: a new player in angiotensin II-induced aortopathies." Cardiovascular research 114, 13 (2018): 1699-1701. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Wu, CH ; Mohammadmoradi, S.; Chen, JZ ; Sawada, H.; Daugherty, A.; Lu, HS "Renin-Angiotensin System and Cardiovascular Functions." Arteriosclerosis, thrombosis, and vascular biology 38, 7 (2018): e108-e116. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Daugherty, A.; Chen, Z.; Sawada, H.; Rateri, DL ; Sheppard, MB "Transforming Growth Factor-β in Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms: Good, Bad, or Irrelevant?" Journal of the American Heart Association 6, 1 (2017): [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Tian, J.; Dang, H.; Nguyen, AV ; Chen, Z.; Kaufman, DL "Combined therapy with GABA and proinsulin/alum acts synergistically to restore long-term normoglycemia by modulating T-cell autoimmunity and promoting β-cell replication in newly diabetic NOD mice." Diabetes 63, 9 (2014): 3128-34. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Tian, J.; Dang, H.; Chen, Z.; Guan, A.; Jin, Y.; Atkinson, MA ; Kaufman, DL "γ-Aminobutyric acid regulates both the survival and replication of human β-cells." Diabetes 62, 11 (2013): 3760-5. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]