Welcome to the University of Kentucky College of Medicine. We are an academic medical institution dedicated to providing superior education and training in order to produce highly qualified, caring physicians to serve the people of Kentucky and the nation.
One of six colleges comprising the UK Medical Center (Dentistry, Health Sciences, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, and Public Health), the College of Medicine is located on UK's main campus in scenic Lexington, Ky. Take a virtual tour of our Medical Campus.
New Hospital Pavilion
In May 2011, UK opened the new 1.2 million-square-foot pavilion at UK Albert B. Chandler Hospital. Two patient floors with a total of 128 beds (48 intensive care and 80 acute care beds in all private rooms) were the first to open: Floor 6 for neuroscience services; Floor 7 for trauma and acute care surgery patients.
The new pavilion A incorporates the best that medicine has to offer with art, music and landscaping reflective of the spirit of Kentucky. The facility is expected to be completed in phases over the next six to 10 years, eventually replacing the original UK Chandler Hospital. The new pavilion also includes:
- The new UK Chandler Emergency Department. Home to the only Level 1 trauma center serving Central and Eastern Kentucky; The Makenna David Pediatric Emergency Center.
UK’s Kentucky Medical Curriculum, a national model, relates scientific principles and concepts to the prevention of disease and to the delivery of modern, compassionate medical care. Because students with diverse backgrounds and interests pursue a variety of medical careers, the curriculum provides the knowledge and skills essential for further professional development. The Kentucky Medical Curriculum emphasizes early longitudinal clinical experiences, integration of the basic and clinical sciences, teaching in ambulatory clinic settings and primary care. UK’s curriculum uses many learning methods, including standardized patients, clinical training models, computer-assisted instruction, human-patient simulators, problem-based learning, small-group tutorials, interactive lectures and laboratory exercises.
Setting its sights even higher, UK is currently embarking upon an endeavor to further enhance its medical curriculum. Realizing that medical students rotate in and out of clinical experiences, UK recognizes that students often see glimpses or“snapshots” of chronic illness and do not witness how it affects the patient and his or her family. UK groups rotations to provide the opportunity for students to follow a patient’s care over a 16-week period.
We take great pride in having more than 800 full-time basic science and clinical faculty members who are accessible to students for questions and consultations.
Student Enrollment Profile
As of August 2011, the total enrollment in the College of Medicine is 465 students. About 80 percent of the medical students enrolled each year are Kentucky residents. Highly qualified non-residents may be accepted into each entering class. UK recruits high-caliber students from across the Commonwealth, nation and world. Below you will find average scores and GPAs of the incoming class of 2017:
Class of 2021 Mean Scores as of July 28, 2017
|College Grade Point Average|
|Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems||127.5|
|Critical Analysis and Reasoning Skills||127.1|
|Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems||127.8|
|Psychological, Social, and Biological Foundations of Behavior||127.8|
The mission of the College of Medicine is to develop knowledge, skills and attitudes that promote professionalism, teamwork, life-long learning, empathy, scholarship, cultural sensitivity, and leadership, with the goal of providing excellence in education, health care and research within the Commonwealth of Kentucky and beyond.
Vision of the COM
The Vision of the College of Medicine is to:
- Improve the health of citizens of Kentucky and beyond
- Provide health care service in a supportive, culturally sensitive environment that exceeds the expectations of patients and their families
- Be a model of academic innovation through continuous curriculum improvement and educational research
- Make significant research contributions to health and science
- Create an environment that stimulates optimal faculty, staff and learner performance
- Promote integrative problem-solving across disciplinary boundaries
- Enhance economic development through research and service
Values of the COM
The College of Medicine values:
- Health and well-being of all persons
- Compassion and respect for all persons
- Integrity and honesty
- Depth and breadth of knowledge
- Lifelong learning
- Creativity and discovery
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Cultural and intellectual diversity
- Service, caring, and sensitivity to others
- Recognition of and respect for high-quality work
- Collaboration and teamwork