1980-1986 B.S. (Applied Chemistry), University of Rajshahi, Rajshahi, Bangladesh.
1986-1988 M.S. (Applied Chemistry with Chemical Engineering), University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh.
1992-1996 Ph.D. (Analytical Chemistry and Environmental Sciences), University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK.
2000-2001 Postdoc Researcher, Department of Pharmacy, Dongduk Women's University, Seoul, South Korea
2001-2004 Postdoc Research Associate, National Exposure Research Laboratory, U.S. EPA, Las Vegas, NV.
Development of new analytical methods and validation using chromatography/ultra-sensitive mass spectrometry and other analytical instrumentation along with sample preparation. Application of the method, characterization and quantification of anthropogenic origin pollutants, manufactured environmental contaminants causing human and other organisms health effects following regulatory authority's protocols. Current research includes determination, hazard assessment of environmental and cardiovascular disease risk of human and other organisms through biomarkers, naturally exposed or exposure with biological active environmental chemicals or stressors.
1. S. Ravula, N. E. Larm, M. A. Mottaleb, M. P. Heitz, G. A. Baker, Vapor Pressure Mapping of Ionic Liquids and Low-Volatility Fluids Using Graded Isothermal Thermogravimetric Analysis. ChemEngineering 2019, 3(2), 42; https://doi.org/10.3390/chemengineering3020042
2. K. Nagel, N. O. Hoilett, M. A. Mottaleb, M. J. Meziani, J. Wistrom, M. Bellamy, Physicochemical Characteristics of Biochars Derived From Corn, Hardwood, Miscanthus, and Horse Manure Biomasses, Comm. Soil Sci. Plant Analysis, March 2019, https://doi.org/10.1080/00103624.2019.1594881
3. A. M. Helou, M. Keefe, W. J. M. A. Mottaleb Thomson, M. A. Mottaleb, Analysis of illicit and behavioral drugs in Seaweed by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry, Analytical Methods, 10, 4702-4710, 2018.
4. R. E. Beattie, W. Henke, C. Davis, M. A. Mottaleb, J. H. Campbell, L. R. McAliley, Quantitative analysis of the extent of heavy-metal contamination in soils near Picher, Oklahoma, within the Tar Creek Superfund Site. Chemosphere, 172, 89-95, 2017.
5. M. A. Mottaleb, C. Stowe, D. R. Johnson, M. J. Meziani, M. A. Mottaleb. Pharmaceuticals in grocery stores fish by gas chromatography – mass spectrometry, Food Chemistry, 190, 529–536, 2016.
6. M. Rodova, S. Kim, M. A. Mottaleb, M. R. Islam. Hepcidin Regulation by Bone Morphogenetic Protein Signaling and Iron. J. Nutri. Food Sci. 2016, 6:4 (doi.org/10.4172/2155-9600.1000521).
7. M. A. Mottaleb, M. K. Bellamy, M.A. Mottaleb, M. R. Islam. Use of LC-MS and GC-MS methods to measure emerging contaminants pharmaceutical and personal care products (PPCPs) in fish. J. Chromatogr. Sep Tech 6 (3), 267, 2015. (doi:10.4172/2157-7064.1000267)
8. A.S.M. Saem, M.T. Hossain, D.H.N. Chandan, M. A. Mottaleb, M. T. Alam. Single-step purification of Urease from Canavalia gladiata seeds. Int. J. Pharma Sci. Res. 6(2), 845-849, 2015.
9. J. Foltz, M. A. Mottaleb, M. J. Meziani, M. R. Islam. Simultaneous detection and quantification of select nitromusks, antimicrobial agent, and antihistamine in fish of grocery stores by gas chromatography–mass spectrometry, Chemosphere, 107, 187-193, 2014.
10. M. A. Mottaleb, M. J. Meziani, M. R. Islam. Solid-phase microextraction and its application to natural products “in Handbook of Chemical and Biological Plants Analytical Methods”, Eds- K. Hostettmann, S. Chen, H. Stupper, John Wiley & Sons publishers, Volume I, 105 -128, 2014.
11. G. Dieringer, L Cabrera, M. A. Mottaleb. Ecological relationship between floral thermogenesis and pollination in Nelumbo Lutea (Nelumbonaceae). Am. J. Bot. 101(2): 357–364. 2014.
12. C. Pettegrew, Z. Dong, M. Z. Muhi, S. Pease, M. A. Mottaleb, M. R. Islam. Silver Nanoparticle Synthesis using Monosaccharides and Their Growth Inhibitory Activity against Gram-negative and positive Bacteria. ISRN Nanotechnology, vol. 2014, 1-8, 2014.
13. K. M. G. Mostofa, C. Liu, K. Gao, S. Li, D. Vione, M. A. Mottaleb. Impacts of global warming on biogeochemical cycles in natural waters “in Photobiogeochemistry of Organic Matters: Principles and Practices in Water Environments”, Eds - K.M.G. Mostofa, T. Yoshioka, M.A. Mottaleb, D. Vione, Springer, New York, 851-914, 2013.
14. K. M. G. Mostofa, C. Liu, M. A. Mottaleb, G. W. H. Ogawa, D. Vione, T. Yoshioka, F. Wu. Dissolved Organic Matter in Natural Waters “in Photobiogeochemistry of Organic Matters: Principles and Practices in Water Environments”, Eds - K. M. G. Mostofa, T. Yoshioka, M. A. Mottaleb, D. Vione, Springer, New York, 1-138, 2013.
15. K. M. G. Mostofa, C. Liu, D. Vione, M. A. Mottaleb, H. Ogawa, S. M. Tareq, T. Yoshioka. Colored and Chromophoric Dissolved Organic Matter in Natural Waters “in Photobiogeochemistry of Organic Matters: Principles and Practices in Water Environments”, Eds - K. M. G. Mostofa, T. Yoshioka, M. A. Mottaleb, D. Vione, Springer, New York, 365-428, 2013.
16. M. A. Mannan, M. A. Mottaleb. A low cost bio-sorption method for removal of arsenic. Rajshahi Univ. J Sci. Eng. 41, 1-8, 2013.
17. M. A. Mottaleb, L. I Osemwengie, M. R. Islam, G. W. Sovocool. Identification of bound nitro musk-protein adduct in fish liver by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry: Biotransformation, dose-response and toxicokinetics of nitro musk metabolites protein adducts in trout liver as biomarker of exposure, Aquat. Toxicol., 106-107, 164-172, 2012.
18. M. A. Mottaleb, S. D. Sarker. Accelerated solvent extraction for natural products isolation “in Natural Product Isolation - Methods and Protocols”, 3rd Edition, Eds - S. D. Sarker and L. Nahar, Humana Press, Springer Science, New York, 75-87, 2012.
19. E. S. Chippsa, R. Jayinia, S. Ando, A. D. Protzman, M. Z. Muhi, M. A. Mottaleb, A. Malkawi, M. R. Islam. Cytotoxicity Analysis of Active Components in Bitter Melon (Momordica charantia) Seed Extracts Using Human Embryonic Kidney and Colon Tumor Cells. Nat. Prod. Comm. 7 (9), 1203-1208, 2012.
20. B. Subedi, M. A. Mottaleb, C. K. Chambliss, S. Usenko. Simultaneous analysis of select personal care products in fish tissue using pressurized liquid extraction combined with silica gel cleanup, J. Chromatogr. A, 1218, 6278-6284, 2011
21. M.T. Rahman, M.S. Rahman, S.B. Quraishi, J.U. Ahmad, T.R. Choudhury, M.A. Mottaleb, Distribution of Heavy Metals in Water and Sediments in Passur River, Sundarban Mangrove Forest, Bangladesh, J. Int. Environ Appl & Sci, 6(4), 537-546, 2011.
22. S. B. Quraishi, T. R. Choudhury, S. R. Khan, M. A. Mottaleb. Season - and year-wise distribution of trace metals and anions in lake water: Results from five years study of the Gulshan Lake water, Bangladesh. Maejo Int. J. Sci. Technol, 4(02), 337-346, 2010.
23. A. J. Ramirez, R. A. Brain, S. Usenko, M. A. Mottaleb, J.G. O’Donnell, L. L. Stahl, J B. Wathen, B. D. Snyder, J. L. Pitt, B. W. Brooks, C. K. Chambliss. Occurrence of pharmaceuticals and personal care products (PPCPs) in fish tissues: Results of a national pilot study in the U.S. Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 28, 2587-2597, 2009.
24. M. A. Mottaleb, S. Usenko, J.G. O’Dennell, J. Ramirez, B. W. Brooks, and C. K. Chambliss. Gas chromatography-mass spectrometry for select UV filters, synthetic musks, alkylphenols, an antimicrobial agent and an insect repellent in fish. J. Chromatogr. A. 1216, 815-823, 2009.
25. M.A. Mottaleb, J.H. Zimmerman, and T.W. Moy. Biological transformation, kinetics and dose-response assessments of bound musk ketone hemoglobin adducts in rainbow trout as biomarkers of environmental exposure. J. Env. Sci. 20(7), 878-884, 2008.
26. W. C. Brumley and M. A. Mottaleb. Congener-specific determination of polybrominated diphenyl ethers in biosolids by GC/HRSIRMS. Anal. Chem. AIJ. 7(8), 665-669, 2008.
27. A. J. Ramirez, M. A. Mottaleb, B. W. Brooks, and C. K. Chambliss. Analysis of pharmaceuticals in fish using liquid-chromatography tandem mass spectrometry, Anal. Chem. 79, 3155-3163, 2007.
28. M. A. Mottaleb, T. W. Moy and J. H Zimmerman. Biotransformation of musk xylene in trout blood: Dose-response and toxicokinetic studies of musk xylene metabolites in hemoglobin adducts by Gas chromatography mass spectrometry, Int. J. Env. Anal. Chem. 86(10), 743-756, 2006.
29. J K Stanley, A J Ramirez, M A Mottaleb, C. K Chambliss, B W Brooks. Enantiospecific toxicity of the β-blocker propranolol to Daphnia magna and Pimephales promelas, Environ. Toxicol. Chem. 25(7), 1780-1786, 2006
30. M. A. Mottaleb and W.C Brumley. Environmental Analytical Chemistry of Pharmaceutical and Personal Care Products: The Separations Focus Turns to Polar Analytes, Trends in Chromatogr., 2, 11-29, 2006
31. M. A. Mottaleb, W.C. Brumley, L. R. Curtis, G.W. Sovocool. Nitro musk adducts of rainbow trout hemoglobin: Dose-response and toxicokinetics determination by GC-NICI-MS for a sentinel species. Am. Biotech. Lab. 23 (7), 24-29, 2005.
32. M. A. Mottaleb, M. R. Karim, Determination of hemoglobin adduct of a musk xylene metabolite in trout as biomarker of exposure by gas chromatography mass spectrometry, J. Env. Sci., 17(6), 989-992, 2005.
33. M. A. Mottaleb, X. Zhao, L.R. Curtis, G. W. Sovocool. Formation of nitro musk adducts of trout hemoglobin for potential use as biomarkers of exposure. Aquatic Toxicol. 67, 315-324, 2004.
34. M. A. Mottaleb, W.C. Brumley, S. M. Pyle and G. W. Sovocool. Determination of a bound musk xylene metabolite in carp hemoglobin as a biomarker of exposure by gas chromatography mass spectrometry using selected ion monitoring. J. Anal. Toxicol. 28(7), 581-586, 2004.
35. M. A. Mottaleb, W. C. Brumley, G. W. Sovocool. Nitro musk metabolites bound to carp hemoglobin: Determination by GC with two MS detection modes: EIMS versus Electron Capture negative ion MS. Int. J. Env. Anal. Chem. 84 (14-15), 1069-1078, 2004.
36. M. A. Mottaleb, M. Z. Abedin and M. S. Islam. Determination of volatile organic compounds in river water by solid phase extraction and gas chromatography. J. Environ. Sci. 16 (3), 497-501, 2004.
37. M. A. Mottaleb, J. S. Yang and H. J. Kim. Electrolyte-as-cathode glow discharge (ELCAD)/ glow discharge electrolysis at the gas – solution interface. Appl. Spectrosc. Reviews, 37, 247-273, 2002.
38. M. A. Mottaleb and H. J. Kim. Enhanced Desolvation and Improved Deposition Efficiency by Modified Thermospray for the Coupling of HPLC and FTIR Spectrometry. Anal. Sci., 18, 579, 2002.
39. M. A. Mottaleb, Y. H. Woo and H. J. Kim. Evaluation of electrolyte-as-cathode glow discharge- atomic emission spectrometry for determination of trace heavy metals in liquid samples. Microchem. J., 69(3), 219, 2001
40. M. A. Mottaleb and D. Littlejohn. Application of HPLC-FTIR modified thermospray interface for analysis of dye samples, Anal. Sci. 17, 429, 2001.
41. P. Mezei, T. Cserfalvi, H. J. Kim and M. A. Mottaleb. The influence of chlorine on intensity of metal atomic lines emitted by the electrolyte cathode glow discharge, Analyst, 126, 712, 2001.
42. M. A. Mottaleb. Application of HPLC-FTIR spectroscopy using thermospray interface for analysis of anionic surfactants. Anal. Sci., 15(11), 1137, 1999.
43. M. A. Mottaleb. Development of HPLC method for analysis of linear alkylbenzene sulphonates and detection by UV and FTIR spectroscopy using a thermospray interface. Mikrochimi. Acta, 132, 31, 1999.
44. M. A. Mottaleb. Coupling of High-performance of Liquid Chromatography to Fourier transform infrared spectrometry using a heated gas flow modified thermospray. Anal. Sci., 15(1), 57, 1999.
45. M. A. Mottaleb and M. Z. Abedin. Determination of chlorinated pesticides from soil by solid phase extraction-gas chromatography. Anal. Sci., 15(3), 283, 1999.