Dr. Susan Smyth is a physician scientist who combines clinical practice in cardiology with NIH- , VA-, and industry-funded research focused on the interplay between inflammation and thrombosis in vascular biology. Her training and expertise center around the contribution of extracellular mediators and blood and vascular cell-surface signaling receptors. Her team applies genetic and pharmacologic strategies in animal models of cardiovascular disease, in order to define cellular and molecular pathways, and then tests those pathways in clinical studies in humans. Her clinical interests are in arterial and venous thrombosis, and she leads an enterprise-wide effort in thrombosis prevention and management. She has authored more than 150 publications and contributed to over a dozen textbooks.
Smyth received her A.B. in Biology, summa cum laude, from Mount Holyoke College (South Hadley, Massachusetts), and graduated from the MD/PhD Program at the University of North Carolina (Chapel Hill, NC). As a graduate student, she studied activation of the platelet integrin αIIbβ3. After completing training in Internal Medicine, she performed cardiology subspecialty fellowship training at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine (New York, New York) and at the University of North Carolina. While a fellow at Mount Sinai, Smyth established animal models to study platelet and other cell-surface receptors in thrombosis and vascular biology. During this time, she developed an interest in understanding the interesection of thrombosis and inflammation based on observations of platelet – leukocyte interactions in models of vascular disease. Smyth joined the faculty of the University of North Carolina as an Assistant Professor of Medicine and Physiology in 2001. During her tenure at UNC, her group expanded their research to understanding of the role of bioactive, extracellular lysolipids in vascular biology. She joined the faculty of at the University of Kentucky (Lexington, Kentucky) in 2006 and currently holds appointments in the Departments of Internal Medicine, Pharmacology, Physiology, and Behavioral Sciences. Smyth is part of a research team whose work spans molecular, preclinical and clinical models, with an aim to connect discovery science to prevent cardiovascular disease and promote health.
Select Honors and Positions
- Kraemer, M.P.;Halder, S.;Smyth, S.S.;Morris, A.J. "Measurement of Lysophosphatidic Acid and Sphingosine-1-Phosphate by Liquid Chromatography-Coupled Electrospray Ionization Tandem Mass Spectrometry." Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.) 1697, (2018): 31-42. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Butt, M.U.;Buzsaki, L.A.;Smyth, S.S.;Elayi, S.C. "Deep Vein Thrombosis Complicated by Spontaneous Iliopsoas Hematoma in Patient with Septic Shock." The American journal of case reports 18, (2017): 1148-1152. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- George, B.;Parazino, M.;Omar, H.R.;Davis, G.;Guglin, M.;Gurley, J.;Smyth, S. "A retrospective comparison of survivors and non-survivors of massive pulmonary embolism receiving veno-arterial extracorporeal membrane oxygenation support." Resuscitation 122, (2017): 1-5. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Ogunbayo, G.O.;Misumida, N.;Olorunfemi, O.;Elbadawi, A.;Saheed, D.;Messerli, A.;Elayi, C.S.;Smyth, S.S. "Comparison of Outcomes in Patients Having Acute Myocardial Infarction With Versus Without Sickle-Cell Anemia." The American journal of cardiology 120, 10 (2017): 1768-1771. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Smetana, K.S.;Dunne, J.;Parrott, K.;Davis, G.A.;Collier, A.C.S.;Covell, M.;Smyth, S. "Oral factor Xa inhibitors for the treatment of left ventricular thrombus: a case series." Journal of thrombosis and thrombolysis 44, 4 (2017): 519-524. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Dong, A.;Mueller, P.;Yang, F.;Yang, L.;Morris, A.;Smyth, S.S. "Direct thrombin inhibition with dabigatran attenuates pressure overload-induced cardiac fibrosis and dysfunction in mice." Thrombosis research 159, (2017): 58-64. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Ogunbayo, G.O.;Charnigo, R.;Darrat, Y.;Morales, G.;Kotter, J.;Olorunfemi, O.;Elbadawi, A.;Sorrell, V.L.;Smyth, S.S.;Elayi, C.S. "Incidence, predictors, and outcomes associated with pneumothorax during cardiac electronic device implantation: A 16-year review in over 3.7 million patients." Heart rhythm 14, 12 (2017): 1764-1770. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Brewster, J.;Sexton, T.;Dhaliwal, G.;Charnigo, R.;Morales, G.;Parrott, K.;Darrat, Y.;Gurley, J.;Smyth, S.;Elayi, C.S. "Acute Effects of Implantable Cardioverter-Defibrillator Shocks on Biomarkers of Myocardial Injury, Apoptosis, Heart Failure, and Systemic Inflammation." Pacing and clinical electrophysiology : PACE 40, 4 (2017): 344-352. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Kotter, J.;Lolay, G.;Charnigo, R.;Leung, S.;McKibbin, C.;Sousa, M.;Jimenez, L.;Gurley, J.;Biase, L.D.;Natale, A.;Smyth, S.;Darrat, Y.;Morales, G.;Elayi, C.S. "Predictors, Morbidity, and Costs Associated with Pneumothorax during Electronic Cardiac Device Implantation." Pacing and clinical electrophysiology : PACE 39, 9 (2016): 985-91. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Morris, A.J.;Smyth, S.S. "Regulation of Lysophosphatidic Acid Metabolism and Signaling by Lipoproteins." Arteriosclerosis, thrombosis, and vascular biology 36, 10 (2016): 2029-30. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Sexton, T.R.;Wallace, E.L.;Chen, A.;Charnigo, R.J.;Reda, H.K.;Ziada, K.M.;Gurley, J.C.;Smyth, S.S. "Thromboinflammatory response and predictors of outcomes in patients undergoing transcatheter aortic valve replacement." Journal of thrombosis and thrombolysis 41, 3 (2016): 384-93. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]
- Sexton, T.;Wallace, E.L.;Smyth, S.S. "Anti-Thrombotic Effects of Statins in Acute Coronary Syndromes: At the Intersection of Thrombosis, Inflammation, and Platelet-Leukocyte Interactions." Current cardiology reviews 12, 4 (2016): 324-329. [PubMed Link] | [ Full text ]