Received both MD and Ph.D from Tongji Medical University. The MD is certified by USA Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) after passing United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) all 3-step (Step1, Ste2 and Step 3) exams in June 2007.
My lab has two research areas: (1) Mechanism of environmental mixture exposure (metal and other chemical carcinogen co-exposure)-induced carcinogenesis; (2) Epigenetic regulation of genotoxicity of chemical carcinogens; (3) Mechanism of breast cancer metastasis. Cancer cells display abnormal metabolism and epigenetics. Cellular metabolic alterations and epigenetic reprogramming are interconnected and cooperatively contribute to carcinogenic process and cancer metastasis. Our mechanistic studies on carcinogenesis and metastasis focus on the role of the interplay between metabolism and epigenetic dysregulations.
1. Wang Z, Yang P, Xie J, Lin HP, Kumagai K, Harkema J, Yang C. Arsenic and benzo[a]pyrene co-exposure acts synergistically in inducing cancer stem cell-like property and tumorigenesis by epigenetically down-regulating SOCS3 expression. Environment International 137:105560. doi: 10.1016/j.envint.2020.105560. 2020.
2. Uddin, M.B., Wang, Z., Yang, C. Dysregulations of functional RNA modifications in cancer, cancer stemness and cancer therapeutics. Theranostics 10: 3164-3189. 2020.
3. Wang Z, Lin HP, Li Y, Tao H, Yang P, Xie J, Maddy D, Kondo K, Yang C. Chronic hexavalent chromium exposure induces cancer stem cell-like property and tumorigenesis by increasing c-Myc expression. Toxicological Sciences 172: 252-264. 2019. (Tox Spotlight Featured article)
4. Wang Z, Yang C. Metal carcinogen exposure induces cancer stem cell-like property through epigenetic reprograming: A novel mechanism of metal carcinogenesis. Seminars in Cancer Biology pii: S1044-579X(18)30153-6. doi: 10.1016/j.semcancer.2019.01.002. 2019.
5. Li Y, Xiao Y, Reichel D, Bae Y, Lee E, Jiang Y, Huang X, Yang C, and Wang Z. In vivo β-Catenin attenuation by the integrin α5-targeting nano-delivery strategy suppresses triple negative breast cancer stemness and metastasis. Biomaterials 188:160-172. 2019.
6. Wang Z, Li Y, Xiao Y, Lin HP, Yang P, Humphries B, Gao T, Yang C. Integrin α9 depletion promotes β-catenin degradation to suppress triple negative breast cancer tumor growth and metastasis. Int J Cancer. 145: 2767-2780. 2019.
7. Xiao Y, Humphries B, Yang C, Wang Z. MiR-205 dysregulations in breast cancer: The complexity and opportunities. Non-coding RNA 5: pii: E53. doi: 10.3390/ncrna5040053. 2019.
8. Humphries B, Wang Z, Yang C. MicroRNA regulation of epigenetic modifiers in breast cancer. Cancers 11: pii: E897. doi: 10.3390/cancers11070897. 2019.
9. Xiao Y, Li Y, Tao H, Humphries B, Li A, Jiang Y, Yang C, Luo R, Wang Z. Integrin α5 down-regulation by miR-205 suppresses triple negative breast cancer stemness and metastasis by inhibiting the Src/Vav2/Rac1 pathway. Cancer Lett. 433: 199-209. 2018.
10. Wang Z, Wu J, Humphries B, Kondo K, Jiang Y, Shi X, Yang C. Upregulation of histone-lysine methyltransferases plays a causal role in hexavalent chromium-induced cancer stem cell-like property and cell transformation. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 342: 22-30. 2018.
11. Li Y, Humphries B, Yang C, Wang Z. Nanoparticle-Mediated Therapeutic Agent Delivery for Treating Metastatic Breast Cancer-Challenges and Opportunities. Nanomaterials (Basel). 2018 May 24;8(6). pii: E361. doi: 10.3390/nano8060361. 2018.
12. Nan A, Chen L, Zhang N, Jia Y, Li X, Zhou H, Ling Y, Wang Z, Yang C, Liu S, Jiang Y. Circular RNA circNOL10 Inhibits Lung Cancer Development by Promoting Transcriptional Regulation of the Humanin Polypeptide Family by SCML1. Advanced Science 10.1002/advs.201800654. 2018.
13. Dai X, Zhang N, Cheng Y, Yang T, Chen Y, Liu Z, Wang Z, Yang C, Jiang Y. RNA-binding Protein Trinucleotide repeat-containing 6A Regulates the Formation of Circular RNA 0006916, with Important Functions in Lung Cancer Cells. Carcinogenesis. 39: 981-992. 2018.
14. Tao H, He P, Wang Z, Sun W. Application of the Mahalanobis distance on evaluating the overall performance of moving-grate incineration of municipal solid waste. Environ Monit Assess. 190: 284. 2018.
15. Humphries B, Wang Z, Li Y, Jhan JR, Jiang Y, Yang C. ARHGAP18 downregulation by miR-200b suppresses metastasis of triple negative breast cancer by enhancing activation of RhoA. Cancer Research. 77: 4051-4064. 2017.
16. Nan A, Chen L, Zhang N, Liu Z, Yang T, Wang Z, Yang C, Jiang Y. A novel regulatory network among LncRpa, CircRar1, MiR-671 and apoptotic genes promotes lead-induced neuronal cell apoptosis. Arch Toxicol. 91: 1671-1684. 2017.
17. Xu Y, Wu J, Peng X, Yang T, Liu M, Chen L, Dai X, Wang Z, Yang C, Yan B, Jiang Y. LncRNA LINC00341 mediates PM2.5-induced cell cycle arrest in human bronchial epithelial cells. Toxicol Lett. 276: 1-10. 2017.
18. Humphries B, Wang Z, Yang C. The role of microRNAs in metal carcinogen-induced cell malignant transformation and tumorigenesis. Food Chem Toxicol. 2016 Dec;98(Pt A):58-65.
19. Li Y, Humphries B, Wang Z, Lang S, Huang X, Xiao H, Jiang Y, Yang C. Complex Coacervation-Integrated Hybrid Nanoparticles Increasing Plasmid DNA Delivery Efficiency in Vivo. ACS Appl Mater Interfaces. 2016 Nov 16;8(45):30735-30746.
20. Wang Z, and Yang C. Circulating microRNAs as Cancer Early Diagnostic Biomarkers-Promises and Concerns. Jacobs Journal of Cancer Science and Research 2015; 1: 003.
21. Wang Z, Humphries B, Xiao H, Jiang Y, Yang C. MicroRNA-200b suppresses arsenic-transformed cell migration by targeting protein kinase Cα and Wnt5b-protein kinase Cα positive feedback loop and inhibiting Rac1 activation. J Biol Chem. 2014 Jun 27;289(26):18373-86.
22. Humphries B, Wang Z, Oom AL, Fisher T, Tan D, Cui Y, Jiang Y, Yang C. MicroRNA-200b targets protein kinase Cα and suppresses triple-negative breast cancer metastasis. Carcinogenesis. 2014 Oct;35(10):2254-63.
23. Wang Z, and Yang C. Circulating microRNAs as diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers for gastric cancer-opportunities and challenges. American Journal of Digestive Diseases 2014; 1: 44-49.
24. Wang Z, Humphries B, Xiao H, Jiang Y, Yang C. Epithelial to mesenchymal transition in arsenic-transformed cells promotes angiogenesis through activating β-catenin-vascular endothelial growth factor pathway. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol. 2013 Aug 15;271(1):20-9.
25. Wang Z, and Yang C. Body fluid microRNAs as toxicological biomarkers. In: MicroRNAs in Toxicology and Medicine. Ed. S. Sahu. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. 2013; 343-362.
26. Wang Z, Yang J, Fisher T, Xiao H, Jiang Y, Yang C. Akt activation is responsible for enhanced migratory and invasive behavior of arsenic-transformed human bronchial epithelial cells. Environ Health Perspect. 2012 Jan;120(1):92-7.
27. Wang Z, Zhao Y, Smith E, Goodall GJ, Drew PA, Brabletz T, Yang C. Reversal and prevention of arsenic-induced human bronchial epithelial cell malignant transformation by microRNA-200b. Toxicol Sci. 2011 May;121(1):110-22.
28. Zhao Y, Wang Z, Jiang Y, Yang C. Inactivation of Rac1 reduces Trastuzumab resistance in PTEN deficient and insulin-like growth factor I receptor overexpressing human breast cancer SKBR3 cells. Cancer Lett. 2011 Dec 26;313(1):54-63.
29. Cohen ED, Wang Z, Lepore JJ, Lu MM, Taketo MM, Epstein DJ, Morrisey EE. Wnt/beta-catenin signaling promotes expansion of Isl-1-positive cardiac progenitor cells through regulation of FGF signaling. J Clin Invest. 2007 Jul;117(7):1794-804.
30. Zhang Y, Rath N, Hannenhalli S, Wang Z, Cappola T, Kimura S, Atochina-Vasserman E, Lu MM, Beers MF, Morrisey EE. GATA and Nkx factors synergistically regulate tissue-specific gene expression and development in vivo. Development. 2007 Jan;134(1):189-98.
31. Rath N, Wang Z, Lu MM, Morrisey EE. LMCD1/Dyxin is a novel transcriptional cofactor that restricts GATA6 function by inhibiting DNA binding. Mol Cell Biol. 2005 Oct;25(20):8864-73.
32. Shu W, Guttentag S, Wang Z, Andl T, Ballard P, Lu MM, Piccolo S, Birchmeier W, Whitsett JA, Millar SE, Morrisey EE. Wnt/beta-catenin signaling acts upstream of N-myc, BMP4, and FGF signaling to regulate proximal-distal patterning in the lung. Dev Biol. 2005 Jul 1;283(1):226-39.
33. Wang Z, Shu W, Lu MM, Morrisey EE. Wnt7b activates canonical signaling in epithelial and vascular smooth muscle cells through interactions with Fzd1, Fzd10, and LRP5. Mol Cell Biol. 2005 Jun;25(12):5022-30.
34. Luo B, Tang L, Wang Z, Zhang J, Ling Y, Feng W, Sun JZ, Stockard CR, Frost AR, Chen YF, Grizzle WE, Fallon MB. Cholangiocyte endothelin 1 and transforming growth factor beta1 production in rat experimental hepatopulmonary syndrome. Gastroenterology. 2005 Aug;129(2):682-95.
35. Zhou H, Cao F, Wang Z, Yu ZX, Nguyen HP, Evans J, Li SH, Li XJ. Huntingtin forms toxic NH2-terminal fragment complexes that are promoted by the age-dependent decrease in proteasome activity. J Cell Biol. 2003 Oct 13;163(1):109-18.